Devices in the Spotlight

Thursday, July 21, 2011

The Skinny and Netflix!!!!!

Original Post Link:

While I’m gathering sample readings for my 3G data speed assessment I thought I would give everyone an update on my protective case, now that it has finally arrived.   In addition the long awaited compatibility with Netflix is finally here!  Well sort of. . .

The Skinny
If you have been following my posts you are aware that I decided to order Case Mate’s “Barely There” case option for my EVO 3D.   It took some patience on my part, due to a US Postal Service screw up, but I finally got it and love it.   When they say it is barely there they mean it, the case maybe adds an 1/8th of an inch to the width and side profile of the device.   In order to give my readers the insider edge you deserve I spent thousands of dollars on professional pics so you can compare the device naked vs. Barely There equipped:     


                                            Front View Comparison:
Without Case:                                                               With Case:

            
                 
                                            Side View Comparison:
Without Case:                                                              With Case:


Ok so maybe I didn’t shell out the cash for the comparison views. . .  I’m on a budget here.   So not the greatest pictures in the world but I hope they illustrate the minimalist approach Case Mate took with this case.   The case provides backside and corner protection without changing the elegant form of the device, perfect for people like me that are easy on your phone and would like protection from the occasional drop and wear from pulling it in and out of pockets.  Although the case doesn’t have a film layer covering the front side display the case’s edging is raised enough that if you did decide to lay it face down it would rest on the case not the display screen.  Given the slim factor and providing protection where I need it this is my case of choice going forward.


Netflix
The idea of being able to stream my instant queue on my EVO 3D has been teasing me for the past month as rumors have run rampant about when additional devices would be supported.   Well imagine the smile on my face on 7/20 when it was officially announced that the EVO 3D is now supported.  Then imagine the look on my face when I tried to access the application today and got a server capacity issue.  The problem is a known issue and Netflix is working on it.  The following is a good article on the situation from CNET.com, I’ve waited this long so I’ll consider this an extended opportunity to further develop my patience.

http://news.cnet.com/8301-1023_3-20081303-93/netflix-outage-prevents-streaming-to-some-devices/    

No comments:

Post a Comment