Devices in the Spotlight

Thursday, July 14, 2011

From the Cuff

Original Post Link:

Quick update on a couple of points while I'm going through writer's block.  As previously mentioned if there are any points of interest that people would like to hear about I would love to get some feedback.

Battery Life Update: 
It is official!   I'm not going to go down the extended battery route with this device, the need simply isn't there.  Although I would like to have a little more life out of the device while I'm using multimedia and data intensive programs I find that the battery experience is better than your average smartphone.  Based on my experience with the EVO 3D thus far here is what you can expect for battery life:

     1.  Consistent 3G/4G Data Use (Pandora, Twitter, Web, etc.)-               4-5 hours
     2.  Consistent Multimedia Content Use (Including 3D content)-               2-3 hours
     3.  WiFi Data Use (Pandora, Twitter, Web, etc.)-                                  Full Day
     4.  Avg Voice/Text use with Syncs set at 15 min intervals-                     Full Day
     5.  Standby, minimal checks, with Syncs set at 15 min intervals-            Full Day (half battery life left)

Where battery life seems to benefit most is during voice, text, and standby duties as I have no issues getting over a full day's worth of use.  I personally didn't own the original EVO but from those that I've talked to say that overall battery consumption was bad but the standby battery life seemed to be one of the biggest pain points.  I have to assume that the Gingerbread updates actively controlling background activity coupled with the dual core processor are the main contributors to the battery life benefits.  The need for an extended battery is in your hands but if you find that during the day you have access to WiFi or have it laying around on a charger at your desk while you work I wouldn't spend the money.  If you are truly mobile 90% of your day the justification for the investment is definitely there and I would go straight to the 3000 or 4000mAH options.  For you mobile folk what fun is a device this capable if you have to constantly worry about your battery! 

Case Update (sort of)
I would love to be able to share with you how much I’m enjoying my new case and provide some pics on what it looks like but I can’t. . . the dang thing hasn’t arrived yet.  I patiently waited the 7-10 day delivery period and finally called into Case Mate to figure out what is going on.   The rep was very helpful and stated that there was an issue with the delivery on the courier’s end and that they would be sending me a replacement order.   For now you will just have to stay tuned for a bit longer, it is coming via priority mail this time so hoping I can have an update by Monday or Tuesday of next week.

I think I may have just run across an idea for future updates, writer’s block be gone!  In the blogosphere I’ve run across a couple of posts that are voicing concerns over 3G data connection speeds with their device.  Over the next week I’ll take random speed tests while at home, work, and during travel to see if what kind of speeds I’m getting.   

No comments:

Post a Comment