Devices in the Spotlight

Friday, June 17, 2011

Spotlight on the HTC EVO 3D

Salutations All-  The first device that we'll shine the spotlight on is the HTC EVO 3D.  As many of you are aware the original EVO was a very popular device so the next iteration has sizable shoes to fill.  When I heard that I was getting the opportunity to experience the device prior to launch I was extremely excited but at the same time I started feeling separation anxiety as I’m attached to my Samsung Epic.  I felt like I was saying goodbye to a good friend.   With that said since I have an unhealthy reliance on my Epic I will from time to time make comparisons back to that device that made me such a fan of Android.  In an effort to stay true to my mission statement let’s jump into my thoughts on the device.  I’ve decided to organize my initial experiences into the specific areas. Feel free to read all, pick and choose some, or simply run now while you still can. . .        

Activation   
Given the EVO 3D falls into the “smartphone” category I was fully expecting to have to walk through a 100 page manual to get the device activated and connected to my email and social media accounts but that wasn’t the case.  I leveraged Sprint.com to swap my device which was a simple process.   From there I simply turned on the device and was given straight forward instructions, via a wizard like screen progression, linking everything up.  So easy a cave. . . (better stop before I violate copyright laws)  No issues thus far, I will keep you posted as I get into really using the device more extensively. 

Hardware/How the Device Feels
The hardware and the Sense UI is probably where I am most impressed with HTC.  They have really done their homework and focused on making a very solid feeling device.   One of my only reservations with the Epic is it didn’t have a sturdy feel due largely to the spring based slider unit which the EVO 3D doesn’t have to contend with.  I’ll get into the keyboard debate later, patience young grasshopper, but the combination of the form factor and HTC’s design philosophy lends to a very quality feeling device in your hand.    In terms of computing hardware I’ve picked a couple of specs that are important to performance:

1.       Processor-  1.2GHZ dual core Snap Dragon
2.       RAM-  1GB  (yes, a whole fricken Gig)

So what does that mean?  The phone is fluid and fast, seamlessly transitioning between screens and applications.  If you have ever had an Android device that didn’t seem to keep up with the OS or appropriately run an app that won’t be the case here.  Keep in mind this is all based on a clutter free system, one that I haven’t dug my dirty fingers into and polluted yet.  As I cram the EVO 3D full of apps I will update you on how it withstands the onslaught.  Since the processor and RAM specs are entering laptop territories I’m anticipating I will continue to be impressed, stay tuned.          

Display
The superior display and the fear of needing a physical keyboard were the deciding factors on why I chose the Epic over the original EVO a year ago.   Now that I’ve conquered my phobia and HTC has upped the ante on screen brilliance and resolution the playing field has leveled.  I’ve done some limited side by side views of the Epic’s super AMOLED display vs. the EVO 3D’s QHD display and found that the EVO’s face has the slight edge.  (that’s saying a lot because the Epic has trumped every device I’ve judged it against)  I’m looking forward to reviewing playback performance from Blockbuster and Netflix streaming content to see how the EVO 3D handles HD content.  It is inevitable that everyone wants to know how devices stack up against the iPhone so I’ve listed the following display resolutions specs:
           
HTC EVO 3D-                                   960x540
Samsung Epic-                                    800x480
iPhone 4-                                             960x640 

I’m a bit of a Home Theatre nut so my standards are high when it comes to display quality and this device doesn’t disappoint.  All applications thus far are producing a bright, color correct, clear image.  Enough said.    
  
3D
I’m going to keep my initial thoughts on 3D exceedingly short because I want to really experience more 3D content before I bestow my incredible insights. .  .  I don’t want to short change you either though as this is the first thing my peers at the office ask about when they see the phone.  I’ve been able to experience 3D on the device in two mediums, the preloaded Spiderman game and the pictures I’ve taken.  The 3d photo content has drawn mixed reviews.  I liken the experience to those holographic pictures that were once sold at malls across America, once you figure out how to look at the image you get it.  It is not for everyone but for those of us that do get it the feature is amazing.  For now I will leave it at that and keep you posted as I progress through more content, the first of which will be the full version of the Spiderman game I referenced which is a blast. . . goodbye productivity. 

Battery Life
The phone displays in 3D. . . [smartphone user]- How long does the battery last?   The phone packs Gingerbread. . . [smartphone user]- So how long does the battery last?   This device can connect to 3G, 4G, Wi-Fi, and is GPS and Bluetooth enabled. . . [smartphone user]-  Battery?   I can safely bet you that it is nearly impossible to read any review online that doesn’t mention the challenges that smartphones and their users face when it comes to battery life.  Several EVO users are already asking in posts if battery life has been address in the 3D variant so let me share what I know thus far.  Stock battery capacity has been increased from 1500mAH to 1730mAH and the Gingerbread version of Android now includes more functions that manage and kill programs useless running in the background.  With that said I will be getting an extended battery as soon as it is available, not because I don’t think the improvements won’t materially extend the hours of operations but because I am a chronic heavy user that has purchased extended batteries for my last three devices.  (I’m usually always running something during the day)  As I get past a couple of charges and break the battery in I will let you know what to expect, more to come.


I’ll stop for now and state in summary that I’m already starting to let go of my Epic anxiety and am really embracing the EVO 3D.  I’ve got several more areas I want to touch on in future posts like virtual keyboard use, HTC’s Sense interface, sound quality, and various apps.  If there is anything you would like me to review and mention let me know and I will work it in.  So long for now, as is the joy with any Android device I’m off to customize the heck out of this thing and load it up with more apps than I can ever dream of using!

No comments:

Post a Comment