Devices in the Spotlight

Wednesday, August 3, 2011

3G Speeds and The Wrap Up

Original Post Link:


3G Speeds:

As I performed my rounds in the Sprint Space forums I noticed several posts speaking to poor 3G speeds on their EVO 3D.   I wanted to see if there was any merit to the claims that it was device related so I decided to leverage Speedtest.net’s connection speed testing app to check it out for myself.  Over the course of two weeks I collected 25 reading attempting to capture test results from work, home, and while on the road.  Here are a few key stats:

Average Overall Speeds:
            Download:                  758kbps
            Upload:                       100kbps

Peak Speed Reading:
            Download:                  1608kbps (Sprint campus workspace)
            Upload:                       648kbps  (same location)

Slowest Speed Reading:
            Download:                  120kbps (Home which is BFE Missouri)
            Upload:                       12kbps (surprising at Sprint campus workspace)

Average Reception:               
            Overall:                       4.5 out of 6 bars
            Work:                          Full
            Home:                         1.5 out of 6 bars
            Travel:                         4.5 out of 6 bars

So what does all this mean?   Well the information’s usefulness is limited since I didn’t take baseline readings with another device at the same time.  All though my overall average speed is less than the expected 3G customer experience of 1 to 1.5 mbps my results highlight how important reception and capacity is to data services and the related speeds.   Given I work at a location where everyone has a Sprint device, we don’t take to kindly to employees with competitor devices, my speeds were all over the place and I have to assume it is due to several users taxing a particular cell site.  I noticed my speeds were in line with what I expected when taking readings during what I would consider light traffic times.  Given my overall experience with the device I would have to say my speed experiences are directly related to network aspects rather than the device but that doesn’t mean there aren’t any devices out there that don’t have issues.   Take some tests for yourself and if your speeds are regularly under 1mbps take it by one of our friendly Sprint store locations and have it checked out.        

The Wrap Up:
It is time for the Mobile Spotlight to move on to the next device so I wanted to sum up my experience with the EVO 3D.   Here is a quick hit list of my pros and cons:

The Pros:  
        Battery Life much improved over EVO/EPIC (no extended battery for me!)
        Hardware-  first android device that has been able to keep up with my constant use
        HTC Sense UI-  best UI I’ve interacted with, ease of use
        3D-  can’t get over the pic quality and depth of field it provides
       
The Cons:      
        External speaker- quality and volume an issue
        Widgets perform random acts of violence
        Can’t share 3D, 3D content not readily available in all mediums
        No kickstand-  may not seem like a big deal but you would be surprised

In all seriousness I really like this device.  The 3D aspect of the phone is a cool thing to have but I have to say the hardware improvements over the original EVO are what will keep this one around as my main device for a long time.  Originally I said that I had “Epic” anxiety letting go of my previous device, well I can say my EVO 3D therapy has resolved that phobia and has turned me into a fan boy of HTC.   So what’s next you ask?   Great question!  (and thank you for providing the transition. . . )   The Motorola Photon!   I’m excited to get to get my claws into this device because I haven’t had a chance to experience Motorola’s Blur UI.  I have several topics planned for the device but if you have anything you would like to see covered just let me know!              

No comments:

Post a Comment