Devices in the Spotlight

Monday, July 4, 2011

EVO 3D Day 15(or so) Update

I’m a little past due on my day 15 update so without further delay here we go. . .

Original Post Link:

The Keyboard Dilemma:
Outside of a device’s ability to play Angry Birds the next concern people normally face is what type of keyboard they want.   So enters the debate, do you want a physical or virtual keyboard.   Virtual keyboards are not for everyone and in the past I’ve preferred a physical keyboard for text messaging and email as I found virtuals to be less than accurate.   As stated in my previous posts the desire for a physical keyboard is what pushed me toward the Epic over the first EVO a year ago and although I don’t regret the decision I feel like I cheated myself a bit for not giving Swype a shot sooner.  The virtual keyboard on the EVO 3D isn’t perfect but is the most user friendly variant that I’ve run across.   In landscape mode the buttons are large enough that even someone like me who has Frankenstein fingers can type rather accurately.  The haptic (vibration) feedback in virtual keyboards is a nice touch and seems very well calibrated in the EVO 3D.  Without it I don’t think I would have the same level of satisfaction and confidence in using the virtual keys.  The portrait view is a different story though and if you are a bigger person like I am I wouldn’t even mess with it.  That brings me back to swype which is another functionality that has a rather polarizing effect on people.  If you can get past the first couple of days of using it I think you will find this will become your preferred method of text entry.  I’m finding I’m much faster now with swype than I am using normal typing so if you can hang in there it will pay off.  Don’t forget the handy talk to text option represented by a mic icon in the virtual keyboard spread.  I used this from time to time on my Epic and it is a viable option but haven’t messed with it much because I enjoy swyping.  Ultimately you will have to decide for yourself what is best for you in this great debate but I would challenge anyone that feels they have to have a physical keyboard to give the virtual one on the EVO 3D a shot.  Learn from my mistakes people! 

Well I have to run to a 4th of July shindig so I will leave it at that for now.  I don’t want any of the 3 people following this blog to feel cheated so I will post an update tomorrow on some of the accessory options available for the EVO 3D.  Happy 4th everyone!     

No comments:

Post a Comment