Devices in the Spotlight

Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Accessories Galore

Original Post Link:

My original plan of attack on how to do a write up on accessories completely fell apart after I started researching the massive amounts of options there are out there.  I was really surprised how much the aftermarket community has stepped up to create a vast amount of options for the EVO 3D this early in the device’s life.  If you are reading this I think I can safely assume you have an internet connection and can experience that overwhelming joy for yourself so I’m going to focus on just a few options I found compelling.  When the topic of accessories comes up in conversation most people want to know what protective cases and battery options are available. (unless you are a pre-teen girl and in that case it is all about hot pink and sequins)   Let’s get the ball rolling with cases.

Case Options:
Like Apple, Otterbox has a cult like following largely due to the quality they put into their products.  For the EVO 3D Otterbox is offering a few options depending on how much additional girth and ultimately protection you want.  Sprint.com shows two options, the Commuter which is the thinner of the two and the Defender which just might be able to withstand a dynamite blast.

Commuter Case:

Defender Case:

If you jump over to Otterbox’s website a third option is listed called the Impact series which is an even slimmer option than the commuter case. If I hadn’t already ordered the case I’ll mention in a minute I might have gone the Impact series route.  Ultimately I think Otterbox provides the best protection you can buy but for someone like me who is a cubical creampuff it is just more than I need.  If you are regularly on a job site, dropping your phone repeatedly, or in a dusty environment the defender is your best bet.  I personally want a case that is minimally intrusive and provides protection from the occasional drop, which the Impact series fills nicely, so I decided to go with our next option.


I promise I’m keeping this site PG-13 when I mention Case Mate’s “Barely There” case option.  Similar to the Otterbox’s Impact services I ordered this case late last week because I liked it’s extremely thin profile while providing scratch protection for the camera glass and device corners.  Once I receive the case I’ll post a picture and some comments on what it looks like in real life.  If I’ve already intrigued you here is the link to Case Mate’s site.


Where is my kickstand!
As quirky as the kickstand seemed to be when the original EVO launched people are really disappointed that the EVO 3D doesn’t include this feature.   Fret no more as several manufactures, including HTC ironically, have stepped up to fill the need.  Here are a couple of the options I preferred, unfortunately you will have to be patient as they are pre-order only right now:

Kickstand cases:



Battery Options:
If you have been following my posts you will already be well aware of my addition to extended batteries.  Although you do sacrifice the slim profile you gain complete mobile freedom by breaking the chains of battery conservation oppression.  (told you I had a problem. . .)   Seidio is offering a couple of options, first is a 1900 mah solution that doesn’t require a new battery door.  A nice solution to give you 10-15% more battery life without losing the form factor and you find you need just a little more juice at the end of the day.   If you are willing to loosen the belt and bulk up a bit a 3000 or 3500mah option is in play.  I’ve gone this route before with my Epic and I have to say being able to do what you want with only an overnight charge is a spectacular thing.      


1900mah Extended Battery


3000+ mah Extended Battery

Just like some of the case options above you will have to be patient as both of these battery options are pre-order only with a TBD release date.  I’m still up in the air on what I’m going to do because I plug in the device while I’m listen to music at my desk and the Gingerbread enhancements seem to be doing their job in extending standby battery life.  My advice is use the phone as you see fit and don’t worry about battery consumption. After a few test runs see what life you get out of it then make a decision.  If the profile tradeoff is acceptable and you are craving more juice I would skip the 1900mah option and head straight for the big boy. 

Well so much for me keeping it short and sweet, until next time!

1 comment:

  1. Battery Option update:
    Stumbled across the following link in the Sprint community posts showing a new option and prices for their extended battery solutions. Check it out:
    http://www.seidioonline.com/category-s/6013.htm

    ReplyDelete